Houston Construction Accident Lawyer
The construction industry is inherently dangerous and places workers and bystanders at risk of sustaining severe injuries every day. If you or a loved one suffer injuries at a construction site, AK Law Firm may help you regain your financial stability and move forward with your life.
The Houston construction accident attorneys at AK Law Firm assist victims of construction site injuries with workers’ compensation claims, personal injury lawsuits, and all other sources of compensation. Our attorneys possess the following:
- Experience and knowledge in all areas of construction accident litigation
- An excellent track record of obtaining high dollar settlements and jury verdicts for our clients
- The compassion and drive to achieve the best possible legal outcome for each client
At AK Law Firm, we want to relieve you of the stress and anxiety surrounding the legal process so that you can heal from your injuries. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there are no upfront costs or out-of-pocket expenses to you. Call our Houston office today to schedule your free case evaluation.
What a Houston Construction Accident Lawyer Can Do For You
When you meet with a construction accident attorney at AK Law Firm, you get an honest evaluation of your accident claim and receive an opinion as to whether your claim is valid. If your claim is valid, your injury attorney will work on your behalf in the following ways:
- Investigation. There is a thorough investigation of your construction site accident. Notification goes out to all negligent parties. Your attorney issues a demand for the preservation of all evidence including photographs, construction equipment involved, road structures, construction company license, and other relevant data.
- File a complaint. Your construction site accident attorney files a lawsuit against all possible negligent parties.
- Discovery. Your attorney obtains any needed depositions, witness interviews, expert analyses, accident reconstruction, and medical evidence to build a solid case.
- Settlement. There are settlement negotiations to determine if a fair and just settlement is possible.
- Trial. If needed, your lawsuit proceeds to trial before a jury or judge.
There are time limits in Texas to file a construction accident case. Therefore, it is important to contact a Houston construction accident lawyer at AK Law Firm right away to begin work on your claim.
Common Construction Accidents
Construction sites are knowingly more dangerous than other worksites; however, that does not mean that construction workers should expect accidents to happen at work. When construction workplace safety measures fail, the most common accidents include:
- Accidents with heavy equipment such as cranes, dump trucks, and hydraulic equipment due to misuse, poor maintenance, lack of training, and unsafe working conditions
- Falls from great heights including roofs, ladders, harnesses, and scaffolding because of improper installation, malfunctioning safety equipment, and a lack of guard rails
- Falling objects, both small and large, when falling from above
- Explosions, fires, and electrocution from exposed wires, flammable materials, chemicals spills, and leaky pipes
- Heatstroke, exhaustion, and frostbite due to working outside in extreme weather conditions
- The injuries most often suffered by construction workers are the following:
- Back injuries from falls, heavy lifting, and repetitive motion
- Head injuries due to falling debris or objects
- Eye injuries because of debris or particles in the air
- Knee injuries caused by heavy lifting and repetitive motion
- Crushing injuries from a trench or building collapse
- Burns due to chemicals and hazardous materials
- Respiratory disease because of asbestos-related diseases, black lung, and chronic pneumonia
- Hearing loss or damage caused by repeated exposure to loud machinery and tools
- Muscle strains from heavy lifting and repetitive motions
Compensation for a Construction Accident
Workers may help protect themselves on the job and ensure their right to full compensation for their injuries by following these precautions:
- Always following company safety rules and regulations.
- Learning how to operate machinery properly.
- Wearing any proper safety gear, including hard hats, protective eyewear, gloves, and boots.
- Being aware of surroundings at all times, including the weather.
- Reporting any dangerous conditions to a supervisor immediately.
Workers’ Compensation Claim
In Texas, there are two potential avenues for construction accident compensation. The first is filing a workers’ compensation claim. However, Texas does not require all employers to carry workers’ compensation insurance.
If an employer carries workers’ compensation insurance, then workers’ compensation pays for any work-related construction accident injuries regardless of who was at-fault for the accident. Workers’ compensation benefits include:
- Any accident-related medical expenses
- Lost wages due to missed work
- Temporary income benefits, impairment income benefits, supplemental income benefits, and/or lifetime income benefits; and death benefits
The category and amount of income benefits received by workers’ compensation depend on the type and extent of injuries. To get workers’ compensation, any work-related injury must be:
- Reported by the worker to the employer within thirty days
- Medically examined by an employer approved healthcare professionals
- Reported by the employer to the insurance company within eight days
- Workers’ compensation will either pay or deny the construction accident claim. Typical reasons for claim denial are insufficient information about the accident or the accident was not work-related.
Personal Injury Claim
If an employer does not carry workers’ compensation insurance, a worker may file a personal injury lawsuit against the employer or a third-party for causing the construction injury. To succeed and win compensation in a personal injury lawsuit, a construction worker, or their construction accident lawyer, needs to prove the at-fault party:
- Owed the worker a duty of care
- Breached that duty of care
- That breach was the legal cause of the worker’s injury
Contact Our Houston Construction Accident Lawyer Today
Construction accidents are serious matters. AK Law Firm is available to discuss not only your current injuries and costs but also your future medical requirements, medical bills, and other financial expenses. Speaking with our construction accident attorneys in Houston now can help you safeguard your future.
The legal process is complicated. At AK Law Firm, our skilled and compassionate attorneys will help you build the most persuasive case possible and represent you in pursuing all avenues of compensation available. To speak with a construction accident attorney, contact our office for a free consultation.