Houston Insurance Claims Attorney
While we all hope that we will receive the benefits we pay for when we purchase insurance, there are times that insurance companies refuse to pay claims. If you are in an insurance dispute, contact a Houston insurance claim lawyer at AK Law Firm. Our Houston insurance claims attorneys will help you with your insurance claims, delays, and denials.
The insurance claims lawyers at AK Law Firm are:
- Experienced in insurance litigation and the interpretation of insurance policies
- Successful at representing clients in insurance claims
- Effective legal strategists who work hard to get you the compensation you deserve
Our Houston trial attorneys are glad to meet with you at no charge to review your claim. We do not charge upfront fees and only get paid when you win.
What Can a Houston Insurance Claims Attorney Do for Me?
You need a skilled attorney by your side to manage your insurance claims for the following reasons:
- Your insurance company will actively avoid paying your claim.
- Your insurance company’s goal is not spending money.
- To keep costs low, your insurance company will offer you a meager settlement hoping it is your only choice.
At AK Law Firm, we take on the task of handling your insurance claim from start to finish. Our insurance claims lawyers contact your insurance company to put them on notice that you mean business. We will also:
- Decide about the value of your claim
- Pursue the insurance company to pay what your claim is worth
- If negotiations fail, take your case to court
Not all claims denials result from bad faith. Sometimes there are disagreements as to what is covered, the amount of coverage, or claim procedures. Contact AK Law Firm today for an honest assessment of your insurance claim and any potential legal routes available to you.
What is Insurance Bad Faith?
Insurance bad faith is more than a disrespectful tone or words used by an insurance company towards a policyholder. It is the unfair treatment of a policyholder who files an insurance claim for their insurance carrier.
Acts of bad faith include, but are not limited to:
- Failing to disclose or knowingly misrepresenting benefits, coverage, or other provisions of an insurance policy that are relevant to a claim
- Failing to promptly and properly investigate a claim
- Not working in good faith to promptly and fairly settle a claim in which liability is reasonably clear
- Denying a valid claim because the policyholder has not taken steps that the insurer has not requested or that the policyholder has not refused
- Imposing time limits or deadlines unspecified in the insurance policy
- Asking the insured policyholder to sign a release that extends beyond the subject of the claim at hand
- Issuing partial settlement payments that include language releasing the insurer from further payments
- Calling medical services, supplies, or procedures unnecessary and denying payment for them without substantiated evidence that is made available to the policyholder
- Paying “kickbacks” to doctors reviewing claims for rendering opinions that result in reduced settlements
- Making unreasonably low settlement offers that force policyholders to sue to obtain full payment
Compensation for Bad Faith Insurance Claims
When insurers act in bad faith, policyholders may get more compensation than the original insurance claim. This is a means to discourage unlawful and unethical behavior in the insurance industry.
In Texas, a policyholder may receive damages that include:
- Up to three times the amount the insurance company would have paid if it had processed your claim properly
- Attorney fees, interest, and court costs
- Mental anguish
- Punitive damages
Contact AK Law Firm to Speak with a Houston Insurance Claims Lawyer
To learn more about insurance claims, bad faith, and the types of compensation that you may be due, contact AK Law Firm today. Our Houston insurance claims attorneys are available to meet with you, review your insurance contract, and provide valuable advice on how to proceed with your claim.