Houston Personal Injury Lawyer
When you or a loved one suffer injuries due to the negligent or reckless behavior of another, the results are often overwhelming. Beyond physical recovery, accidents create numerous personal and financial issues. AK Law Firm helps individuals and their families receive financial compensation for personal injuries and continue forward with their lives.
At AK Law Firm, our personal injury attorneys represent victims and their families throughout Houston. We believe in a client-focused approach to law and take pride in our commitment to each client as an individual. When you choose our personal injury law firm in Houston, you agree to representation by:
- Dedicated, open communicators who believe in transparency with clients.
- Honest and upfront assessors of claims and claim values.
- Focused attorneys who only practice personal injury law.
- Aggressive negotiators prepared to take your case to trial if needed.
Schedule a free consultation now. You should never pay for an accident caused by someone else’s negligence or reckless behavior. Call AK Law Firm to speak with one of our Houston personal injury lawyers. We can explore your legal right to recover financial compensation for your injuries in Texas.
Navigate This Page
- What Can a Personal Injury Attorney Do For Me?
- What is a Personal Injury?
- Types of Personal Injuries
- How Much Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Charge?
- What Should I Do If I’m Injured in Houston?
- Who Can Be Held Liable for My Personal Injury in Houston?
- How Long Do I Have to File an Injury Claim in Texas?
- Compensation in Personal Injury Cases
- Are There Caps on Damages for Personal Injury Cases?
- What Is the Timeline for a Personal Injury Case?
- Protecting the Right to a Personal Injury Claim
- Contact a Houston Personal Injury Attorney Today
What Can a Personal Injury Attorney Do For Me?
A skilled Houston personal injury attorney helps you recover physically, personally, and emotionally from a severe accident. At AK Law Firm, we take your claim seriously, beginning with a full investigation of your accident. Next, our Houston personal injury lawyers carefully document the facts of your case and examine the full extent of your injuries. We can also assist in getting you any specialized medical care you may need.
Insurance companies try to settle claims quickly and for as little as possible. The attorneys at AK Law Firm will pursue fair and just compensation for your personal injury claim after taking into account both your current and future expenses. Our Houston personal injury attorneys will keep you informed every step of the way while working to protect your best interests.
Additionally, AK Law Firm’s legal team will do the following:
- Communicate with the at-fault party and the insurance company(s)
- Contact your health care providers regarding any medical bills
- Investigate your accident and collect any evidence
- Identify liable parties
- Obtain any needed medical and financial expert opinions
- Negotiate a settlement with the insurance company(s)
- File all legal documents and take your case to court if necessary
Texas limits the time to file a personal injury claim. Schedule your consultation with one of the lawyers at AK Law Firm today to learn more about your legal right to compensation.
What is a Personal Injury?
A personal injury is harm caused by the act or omission of another person or organization. In a typical personal injury case, the injured person pursues compensation from the at-fault party’s insurance company. Individuals, companies, or other entities can be responsible for the serious injuries.
Common types of personal injury cases include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Rideshare accidents
- Railroad accidents
- Boating accidents
- Maritime injuries
- Dog bite accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Premises liability
- Product liability
- Construction accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Oil field and fracking accidents
- Oil refinery accidents
- Workplace injury accidents
- Nursing home negligence
- Medical malpractice injuries
- Wrongful death
Types of Personal Injuries
Personal injuries range in severity. Some injuries are short-term and heal with treatment. More severe personal injuries can affect a person’s ability to work or even perform the activities of daily living, such as personal care.
Personal injury claims include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Bone fractures
- Neck, back, and spine injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue damage
- Joint injuries
- Hip injuries
- Loss of limb
How Much Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Charge?
It’s no secret that legal fees are notoriously expensive. When you’re facing thousands of dollars’ worth of medical bills and can’t obtain additional income due to your injuries, it may be tempting to forgo an injury attorney and represent your own claim. However, personal injury attorneys are not as expensive as you may believe, thanks to the contingency fee system.
Our firm operates on a contingency fee basis to limit your out-of-pocket expenses. Under this agreement, you do not have to pay any legal fees unless we secure a settlement on your behalf. If we do obtain compensation for you, our fees will not come out of your pocket.
Instead, we’ll take an agreed-upon percentage of your final settlement as payment for our services. The average contingency fee is around 33% and you will not have to pay any upfront costs, deposits, or surcharges for your representation. With AK Law Firm, you can seek justice for your serious injuries without worrying about additional debt.
AK Law Firm aims to make legal representation as accessible and affordable as possible. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation and learn more about what our attorneys can do for you.
What Should I Do If I’m Injured in Houston?
If you believe you are the victim of a personal injury in Houston, time is the most important factor. You want to make sure you file your claim by the appropriate deadline, as well as preserve the evidence you can use to prove that the other party is responsible for your injuries. For best results, take the following steps after your accident to protect your claim.
- Seek medical treatment. Not only will this help you recover from your injuries, you will receive medical records that will serve as valuable evidence in your case. Plus, waiting to visit a doctor can harm your case’s credibility, so make sure to seek treatment as soon as you can.
- Report the accident. Inform law enforcement so you can obtain a report of the events. If you are in a car accident, for example, the responding officer will create a car accident report that will detail the crash and what he or she observes at the scene.
- Do not speak to an insurance adjuster after your accident. The insurance adjuster may ask you for a recorded statement to expedite your settlement, but giving a statement before you know all of the facts about your claim can harm your case in the long run.
- Contact a Houston personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Your lawyer will begin the initial investigation into your claim and file your lawsuit in civil court before the deadline passes.
If your personal injury claim involves an insurance company, you should always speak to a lawyer before speaking with an insurance adjuster. It is important to remember that, since the company is paying for your damages, it is not in their best interest to pay a maximum settlement.
By speaking with an adjuster before you know the extent and nature of your injuries, you could make a statement that will harm your future claim or accept a settlement offer lower than what you need. Your personal injury lawyer will estimate the value and guide you through these conversations to protect your best interests.
Who Can Be Held Liable for My Personal Injury in Houston?
All personal injury cases rely on the theory of negligence, and you and your attorney will need to gather evidence to satisfy the following four elements.
- The at-fault party owed you a duty of care.
- The at-fault party breached his or her duty of care.
- The breach of care directly caused your injuries.
- You can collect damages in your lawsuit to recover from these injuries.
You can file a personal injury lawsuit against one person, or multiple parties in your claim. Depending on the circumstances of your case, the at-fault party may be another driver, a property owner, a government agency, or even a medical professional.
The first step to identifying who to hold liable in your lawsuit is to contact a Houston personal injury lawyer who can launch an investigation into your serious accident. Your lawyer will have the resources and connections that you may not have access to, and can help you identify who to name in your claim and your estimated settlement.
How Long Do I Have to File an Injury Claim in Texas?
All personal injury claims are subject to a statute of limitations, a rule that sets a deadline by which you need to file your lawsuit in Texas civil court. If you do not file your claim by the time the statute of limitations passes, the court will likely dismiss your claim and you will lose your chance at claiming the damages you need to recover.
In Texas, you generally have two years from the date of your injury to file your claim. There are some exceptions to this rule, depending on the circumstances surrounding your claim. For example, if you did not discover the injury until a later date, you will have two years from the date you discovered the injury rather than the date of the accident. If your claim involves litigation against a government agency, you must file a formal claim against the government within 6 months of your injury.
The statute of limitations may seem restrictive, but this deadline provides a number of benefits for your injury case. First, filing within a set period of time ensures that your witnesses remain reliable and available to give testimony. Second, filing sooner helps prevent the evidence in your personal injury case from disappearing or suffering damage by the time you reach the courtroom.
Finally, the sooner you file your claim, the more credible your claim is likely to appear before the court. For best results, contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible to begin the filing process.
Compensation in Personal Injury Cases
Compensation for a personal injury varies according to the type of injury and its severity. However, most personal injury cases allow financial recovery for damages that include:
- Past medical expenses, such as doctor visits and hospital bills
- Future medical expenses, such as physical therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of property
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Physical disfigurement
- Mental and emotional trauma
Damages are also available for wrongful death expenses when personal injury leads to the death of a loved one.
Are There Caps on Damages for Personal Injury Cases?
Although you can collect damages for all of your losses, the state of Texas does place some limits on how much you can receive. These rules only apply to medical malpractice claims.
You can collect two types of damages in civil lawsuits: economic and non-economic. Economic damages include your tangible out-of-pocket expenses, such as medical expenses and lost wages. Non-economic damages refer to your physical and emotional pain and suffering, such as mental anguish, post-traumatic stress disorder, and chronic pain.
In medical malpractice cases, Texas places a cap on the amount of non-economic damages you can receive. Under this rule, you can only collect $250,000 per defendant and $500,000 overall in non-economic damages in your lawsuit.
The court may also award you punitive damages in cases where the at-fault party committed gross negligence. Texas caps the amount of punitive damages you can receive using a strict formula: two times the amount of economic damages you receive plus the amount of non-economic damages. For example, if you receive $10,000 in economic damages and $5,000 in non-economic damages, your punitive award amount would be up to $25,000.
What Is the Timeline for a Personal Injury Case?
A personal injury claim can take between one to two years to reach settlement, depending on the circumstances surrounding your accident. After you receive medical treatment and contact your personal injury attorney from AK Law Firm, your lawyer will launch an initial investigation into your claim.
Next, your attorney will wait until you reach maximum medical improvement (MMI) before filing your lawsuit. MMI refers to the period when you end all medical treatment and have recovered as much as you possibly can. It may take a few weeks or even months for you to reach MMI.
After you reach MMI, your attorney will calculate your estimated damages, consider whether or not to make a demand and negotiate with the at-fault party. Most personal injury claims settle outside of the courtroom, and you may receive your settlement during these negotiations. If your attorney decides not to negotiate or the negotiations do not work in your favor, you will enter the litigation process.
Your injury lawyer will file your lawsuit in civil court and enter the discovery process, where you will exchange evidence and arguments with the defendant and his or her lawyer. This process can last between six months to one year, depending on your case. After discovery, you may enter pre-trial negotiations to attempt to reach a settlement before entering the courtroom.
You may receive a settlement at this stage, or your negotiations may either not take place or end unsuccessfully. If this is the case, your lawsuit will proceed to trial and a judge and jury will hear the arguments of both sides. At the conclusion of your claim, the court will decide whether to award you a settlement and how much. A personal injury trial can last one day, a week, or longer, depending on your case.
While the personal injury lawsuit process may seem lengthy, filing a claim is the only way you can secure maximum compensation for your injuries. If you accept a premature settlement lower than what you need to recover, you can face additional debt and hardship later on. Investing in a personal injury lawsuit now will protect your future interests, helping you pay for long-term medical care, supplement your income, and recover from your physical and emotional injuries.
Protecting the Right to a Personal Injury Claim
There are steps an individual can take to protect their right to a personal injury claim. When an accident results in a significant injury, be sure to do the following:
- Seek immediate medical treatment.
- Follow all doctors’ orders.
- Attend all doctors’ appointments.
- Report the accident as soon as possible.
- Contact police, management, or security where the injury occurred.
- Get a copy of any report made at the scene.
- Collect all witness contact information.
- Take photos of the accident area, any injuries, and any other relevant matter.
- Write down precisely what happened while it is fresh in your mind, including the time before and after the accident.
- Keep all accident-related materials, including receipts and correspondence.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the other party’s insurance company.
- Avoid providing any recorded statements.
- Do not sign anything offered by an insurance adjuster.
- Stay off of all social media.
- Consult an experienced Houston personal injury lawyer before giving any statements or agreeing to any settlement from an insurance company.
Contact a Houston Personal Injury Attorney Today
To learn more about protecting your legal rights after a personal injury accident, call AK Law Firm. One of our injury attorneys in Houston will gladly meet with you and discuss your claim and potential settlement value. At AK Law Firm, our legal practice centers on personal injury law and our clients.
We want to exceed your expectations through our high level of legal representation and our compassionate service. We represent our clients on a contingency-fee-basis. There are no upfront fees, and we only get paid if we win your case. Call now for a free case evaluation with our Houston personal injury law firm.
“Andrew a true champion for his clients step up and handled my situation with strong legal knowledge, professionalism, communication, dedication.” – Steve Escobar