Houston Slip and Fall Lawyer
If you or a loved one slip and fall accident while on someone else’s property, the property owner may be liable for your injuries. At AK Law Firm, our Houston slip and fall attorneys will evaluate your accident claim and determine if compensation is available to cover your damages. We will fight to recover the maximum compensation available to cover your medical bills, lost earnings, physical pain, and emotional trauma.
AK Law Firm prides itself on conducting a client-focused legal practice. We offer courteous, compassionate, individualized attention to every client. Additionally, our slip and fall lawyers are the following:
- Aggressive personal injury litigators
- Successful advocates who recovered millions in total verdicts and settlements for our clients
- Proactive in striving to meet and exceed clients’ expectations
The Houston personal injury attorneys at AK Law Firm represent slip and fall victims on a contingency fee basis. When we agree to handle your claim, we only get paid if we secure compensation for you. Contact us today to schedule your free claim consultation.
What a Slip and Fall Accident Attorney Can Do for You
At AK Law Firm, our slip and fall accident attorneys will handle your claim from start to finish in a transparent manner, keeping you informed all the way. Our process is generally as follows:
- We review your claim in a free consultation
- If we agree to accept your claim, we investigate your accident
- We identify all possible sources of compensation
- Then, we document your damages by collecting medical evidence, pay stubs, and other evidence
- We work with experts to support your injury claim including medical experts, vocational experts, and accident reconstruction experts
- Our slip and fall lawyers will work with them to help substantiate your claim
- We will aggressively negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf for a just and fair settlement
- If needed, we will argue your slip and fall case at trial
This is not a complete list of the many ways we serve our clients at AK Law Firm. Our Houston slip and fall accident attorneys dedicate themselves to your legal claim so you can focus on your recovery. Texas has a deadline for filing slip and fall lawsuits, so call AK Law Firm today.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Although property owners are responsible for making sure their property is safe for visitors, slip and fall accidents still occur due to property owner’s negligence. Failure to warn visitors or patrons about a known, unsafe condition makes the property owner liable for any serious injuries that result from these hazardous conditions.
The most common unsafe conditions resulting in slip and fall accidents are the following:
- Wet or slippery floors
- Broken stairs
- Missing handrails
- Uneven or cracked sidewalks or pavement
- Spilled produce
- Inadequate drainage
- Dark or dangerous stairwells
- Poor lighting
- Inadequate or dim lighting
- Torn or loose carpeting
Common injuries sustained in slip and fall accidents include:
- Head and brain injuries, including traumatic brain injury
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Hip fractures
- Broken bones
- Sprains and strains
What Types of Damages Can a Slip and Fall Attorney Recover in My Case?
The amount of compensation a victim receives from a slip and fall accident depends on the extent of their losses, their ability to prove those losses, and the ability of the at-fault party to pay for the losses either personally or through an insurance policy.
There are two types of compensation available for a slip and fall accident, economic and non-economic. Economic losses are damages that are readily calculable and have assigned dollar amounts. Non-economic damages are intangible items without relatable costs.
Economic damages for a slip and fall accident may include:
- Medical expenses, including both current medical expenses and projected future medical costs
- Lost wages for time missed from work
- Loss of future earning potential for inability to return to work or failure to return to the same type of work or work hours
- Physical therapy
- Household expenses
- Property damage
Non-economic damages include the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional trauma
- Loss of the enjoyment of life
If a victim’s slip and fall injuries result in death, a wrongful death claim may recover medical expenses up until the victim’s death, funeral costs, loss of income, loss of emotional support, and other accident-related losses.
Protecting Your Rights After a Slip and Fall Accident
While no one wants to be the victim of an accident, there are steps one can take after a slip and fall accident to help secure their legal right to compensation. These steps include:
- Contacting the police and paramedics right away if necessary, or seeking medical attention as soon as possible for an exam.
- If the injury occurred on public property or private property owned by a business, write down the name and address of the business.
- Writes down essential details surrounding the accident, such as the accident time, weather conditions, and any property hazards.
- Take photographs of the accident scene.
- Takedown witness information including full names, addresses, and phone numbers for follow-up investigation.
- Schedule and keep any follow-up appointments with your medical provider.
- Contact an experienced slip and fall accident attorney before making any statements or signing any documents.
Slip and fall accidents happen quickly, and some injuries take time to appear. Therefore, always seek medical care and attend any follow-up appointments.
Contact Our Houston Slip and Fall Attorney Today
Most likely, an insurance company will contact you before you can speak with a experienced Houston slip and fall accident lawyer. If so, consult with one of the attorneys at AK Law Firm before making any statements or signing any agreements. Insurance companies will attempt to settle your insurance claim as quickly and cheaply as possible.
“I recommend them. They are excellent in all aspects.” – Jose Elias